French Seamless Download Option for 2.114

News, Discussions, Questions and Answers

French Seamless Download Option for 2.114

Postby thyme » 10 Nov 2006, 20:17

For 2.114 there is now the option of downloading a French version of seamless as well as the English.

2.114 can be downloaded from:

http://www.seamless3d.com/download

I have used some of the translations by Isa from the build an avatar tutorial for the titles for the build an avatar demo.
The rest of the translations which includes, Menus, tool tips, messages and other demos, have been translated mostly by Babel and so much of this will be a rough translation.
Because the French version is simply an alternative set of global strings, it should be just as easy to create a Spanish, German, Dutch etc (any language that only requires an 8 bit character set) version of Seamless.

Anyone's efforts to translate will be greatly appreciated however please note that any translation work can become obsolete at any time because it is impossible to be completely sure what will remain up to date. (the BranchJoin Avatar demo is likely to change soon)
If anyone wants to contribute, please download the source zip file for Seamless3d:

seamless3d_editor_source.zip

from the download souce page:

http://www.seamless3d.com/download/source.html

This zip file contains the file:

global_strings.cpp

which is the file that contains all the text for the different languages.
Only change the text that is inside the quotes.
When I receive a translation from anyone I will try to upload as soon as possible to reduce the possibility of more than one translation being done on the same text.
The first top half of the file is the English text that gets compiled in for the English version and the other half of this file is for the French version but it may be easier to simply translate the English inside the quotes instead of the babbled text because much of the babbled texts will be less helpful to the human translator than the original English text.
Because there is a lot of text to translate and because there is no certainty that any of the text may stay from version to version and because quite a few people have now kindly offered to translate, I think it is perhaps wise to only translate only a few lines to begin with and then see later what else needs to be translated.
Please send any translations to me by email and I will be only to happy to compile in your work and acknowledged your contribution :)
Please try to keep the translation inside the quotes if you can because it was surprisingly a lot of work just to get the code arranged how it is.

Apart from the translation work, the "build avatar demo" has been improved slightly to reveal better how the pivot points can be moved for the eyes by showing how to zoom in and orientate the avatar for this task.
thyme
Site Admin

Postby Alain » 10 Nov 2006, 20:45

wowwwwwwwwwww !!!!!!!!

Vive la France !!!!! :))))))

and Vive Thyme ! :)))

will go to look at
Alain

Postby Lilly » 10 Nov 2006, 21:22

wow !

lol thyme peux tu me faire une Lilly-sophie
avec le drapeau français ? lool

je vais regarder tout de suite cette nouvelle version !
thanks much thymou !

hugzzzz and bisouxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox
Last edited by Lilly on 10 Nov 2006, 21:59, edited 1 time in total.
Lilly

Postby Lilly » 10 Nov 2006, 21:32

:P :lol: but I was accustomed to that in English and I am lost with that in French lool
Lilly

Postby thyme » 12 Nov 2006, 19:49

Thanks very much Alain and Lilly :) it was a delight to read your replies so soon after I uploaded 2.114. Because of your positive responses being immediate I was able to go to sleep with a sense of accomplishment after staying up all the night getting things ready to upload :)
Yes Lilly I would be happy to make you a French flag for your Lilly Sophie avatar soon as I can find some time. Few would understand how I spent most of the night making little changes here and there to this French avatar until I was relatively happy but I would have liked to have made him a French loaf of bread for his other hand to carry but I could barely keep my eyelids open :) I am afraid I still seem to be burning the candle from both ends and never finding that elusive moment where I can feel I am ahead enough to start making a range of gestures, hairstyles, cloths, 3d movies etc. :) but I do feel I must be getting somewhere closer to this dream :)
I have now uploaded 2.115 which has a new demo called beeline to animation. This demo is in response to Lilly requesting something simpler to begin with than my avatar demo so I have written this demo to have the minimum number of clicks just to get an object animated.
After getting an object animated, the robot will continue to add and change things to demonstrate some of the most basic animation concepts that one will face when animating a human or animal. There is no substitute of course for experimenting one self but so long as you have this demo robot as a reference there should be no hidden mysteries left.
Remember Seamless's interface for animation can be easily related to avatar studio's interface if you look at this picture:

Since taking this picture seamless has actually improved further because now you can rotate any part using the leavers that branch from the pivot points. This feature I feel must make seamless the most friendly program I have seen to animate anything in 3d however in blaxxun avatar studio you do begin with a complete avatar and so you are not faced with the need to understand how to construct a Skelton of parts for animation. But these concepts soon are learnt on an intuitive level if one plays with seamless.
Blaxxun avatar studio also has a slider which does help make the concept of time more intuitive than seamless's up/down "slider" field so for now you must make an effort to relate this back to blaxxun avatar studio's slider:

0 = the slider to the far left
.5 = the slider in the middle
1 to the far right.

Perhaps the main difference to note in comparing seamless to bxx avatar studio, is you must "capture" a pose by clicking on the capture button. Simply think of this button as taking a photo to capture the pose for the animation sequence and you cant go wrong :)

I have also made a simple improvement to how the global strings are arranged in the source files
There are now 2 separate files for the 2 different languages

global_strings.cpp containes only the english strings

global_strings.fr.cpp containes only the fench strings.

I have done this so that the lines for both languages correspond to exactly the same line numbers which should make it much easier for a human to translate.

For those who want to contribute to the translation I have concluded the best way to keep things orderly yet flexible is to adhere to this simple rule. If anyone wants to translate a portion of the global strings file please poste here stating that you have locked a portion from line X to line X for a week. This rule should prevent more than 2 people translating the same text.

I have added the MIT licence notice to global_strings.fr.cpp with all who have so far contributed to transiting this file owning the copyright to this file.
thyme
Site Admin

Postby Alain » 12 Nov 2006, 21:45

very good pic , Thyme ,

http://www.seamless3d.com/img/av_studio.png

because everyone wo used avatar studio could understand what you say ..
so I hope they will try seamless too ..
Alain

Postby Alain » 12 Nov 2006, 22:19

ps : the beeline anim robot is nice !!!
Alain

Postby Lilly » 13 Nov 2006, 01:43

magnifique démonstration robot thyme
BRAVO !

merci beaucoup
bisouxoxoxo
Lilly
Lilly

Postby thyme » 13 Nov 2006, 20:57

Alain wrote
very good pic , Thyme ,

http://www.seamless3d.com/img/av_studio.png

because everyone wo used avatar studio could understand what you say ..
so I hope they will try seamless too ..

Yes I should have this image somewhere in my tutorials, perhaps under the heading "for avatar studio users" because it helps a lot to relate the concepts to this popular program.
My guess is avatar studio is the most widely used VRML editor program of all time so I have respect for this reality :)
Avatar studio has the ideals of not needing a manual to use it (what makes a killer app a killer app heheh)
I think the new build nodes on seamless toolbar especially the BezierLatheBuild helps make seamless much closer to this ideal.
Adding a real slider for the animation will help a lot too I think.
thyme
Site Admin

Postby thyme » 13 Nov 2006, 21:10

Alain wrote:

ps : the beeline anim robot is nice !!!

Lilly wrote:

magnifique démonstration robot thyme
BRAVO !

Thanks much again Lilly and Alain for your feedback :)
Seamless has copy and paste buttons for poses which is very useful for making the last pose the same as the first pose but I am thinking if avatar studio gets away without these buttons should I make the beeline demo not to use copy and paste?
Only for the beeline demo I wonder this because a beeline is meant to keep things as simple and direct as possible to get to the desired target, so do you think copy and paste makes this more or less complicated for a beginner?

PS making this change for the beeline demo would be triveal for me to do
Last edited by thyme on 13 Nov 2006, 21:43, edited 1 time in total.
thyme
Site Admin

Postby thyme » 13 Nov 2006, 21:16

Arsene, Sarah, Matthieu and Taranis appear to be busy working on a portion of the file global_strings.fr.cpp:

http://forum.revemonde.net/viewtopic.ph ... c&start=15

So this portion of text should is reserved for the time being :)
thyme
Site Admin

Postby Lilly » 13 Nov 2006, 21:22

les démonstrations de ton robot
sont très explicite, mais il y a tout de même
plusieurs étapes ce qui est obligé...
Ce qui serait plus facile ce serait des cases à cocher
comme dans Flux
où l'on peut voir aussi directement ensuite son animation
il faut que tu regardes les animations de Flux
ça te donnera peut être d'autres idées
car leur système d'animation est très facile et rapide
même pour une personne qui n'y connaît rien du tout
et on a un résultat de suite
mais ce n'est peut être pas possible cette même façon
avec Seamless ?
bisous
Lilly
Lilly

Postby thyme » 13 Nov 2006, 21:48

I have not yet looked at how flux does animation Lilly but I have Flux studio installed so I will investigate soon how it does animation.
Do you find flux studio easier than blaxxun avatar studio to animate?
bisous
thyme
Site Admin

Postby Lilly » 14 Nov 2006, 04:11

Flux est différent d'avatar studio
puisque avatar studio est fait uniquement
pour faire et animer des avatars
Flux est fait pour tout objet
mais pas spécialement pour les avatars
son système d'animation pour tous les objets
est très facile et simple
et c'est à mon avis le seul facile