Bring Static Model to Life Demo for 2.117

News, Discussions, Questions and Answers

Bring Static Model to Life Demo for 2.117

Postby thyme » 19 Dec 2006, 09:17

2.117 both English and French versions can be downloaded from:

http://www.seamless3d.com/download

The Bring Static Model to Life Demo is to show how a model made from any modeller can be imported into seamless taking advantage of seamless's build nodes to make things a lot easier.

This demo requires first that the contents of the files_for_demos.zip file be manually unzipped and put in the folder:

My Documents\Seamless3d\Application Data For Seamless3d\For Robot Demos Only

The static model is imported into a single part and then the vertices are transferred to the rest of the parts using a semi transparent cylinder to select the vertices. When this is done the pivot points are moved to the correct location for each part so that the parts can then be animated. Once the build nodes have been set up they can be re-used to import any static model that has the same basic shape. The Bringing Static Models to Life tutorial has been rewritten to accompany the demo.

Blue and White Parts

2.117 has undergone many minor changes to make seamless more user friendly but most of these changes wont be noticed.
The main change to note is there are different kinds of part nodes to make the distinction between parts to be used for building and parts for to be used for immediate editing clear.
From here on only use white part nodes for when you want to use build nodes to create the triangles and blue (immediate) part nodes for immediate editing or use a blue part when you want the part node to be used as a source of triangles for a build node (that was imported from a wrl for example).
Seamless will automatically convert any part node from a pre 2.117 smls file to a white part if it contains no data and a blue part if it does. For most old smls files this rule should work fine but for some old files this may not be as wanted, however a white or blue part can be converted to the opposite type easily if you right click on the part node and select convert and the old rule still applies that if you can not get a old file to open that use to open in a previous version, send it to me and I will probably get it working with a minimum of sweat :)
The distinction between white and blue parts should effortlessly direct newbies away from some of the problems that could arise from not understanding the significance of parts being automatically built or where the triangles were intended to be directly edited and saved. For example the user is prevented from tugging a vertex from a part that is also being built, so they will be spared from wondering later what's happened to all their lovely work soon as a build cycle takes place which was typical not to happen until after they had saved and closed down seasmless!
Another good example of this distinction reducing confusion, is the user will no longer be able to import from a wrl into a part that is also being built from build nodes (something you never want to do)

In short:
Only build nodes can modify the geometry for a white part.
Only humans can directly modify the geometry for a blue part.
Only the triangles get saved to a file for a blue part because white parts get built automatically.

Capture Made Automatic for Animation

The Anim node has been simplified for the better. There is no longer any need to press capture because a capture is now automatically done when ever a part's orientation control point is dragged by the user while the Anim node window is open. Because the interpolator and script instructions are automatically added when needed, there is no longer any use for a static part to determine what parts shall have an interpolator node added and so the setupAnimation feature has been made obsolete and so has been appropriately removed. The robot demos that demonstrate animation will show this small change.
These changes will make life simpler for anyone new or old to seamless.

Static Part nodes are now a thing of the passed because they are no longer needed but will automatically be converted to regular part node types from old files that contain them.
Static Part nodes were blue but are not to be confused with the new immediate part nodes because they had a different purpose but this is all now history and static parts were never documented much so most won't even need to concern themselves with this sentence.

Importing Blaxxun Avatar Studio Avatars Simplified

I have rewritten the tutorial Importing Blaxxun Avatar Studio Avatars because of some minor changes made to seamless to simplify this procedure and because I was not happy with how well this tutorial was written. Note the url for this tutorial has also changed.

Improvements made for outputting H-Anim and X3D

Much work has been done to improve output for H-Anim and X3D.

I have made it so that H-Anim files output from Seamless, can now open in XJ3D but XJ3D does not seem to be able to currently run JavaScript (but it will not abort if it finds it and give the OK message) and so most of my examples wont animate in this browser. However if only ROUTEs and Standard VRML/X3D TimeSensors are used (instead of Seamless Anim nodes) they have a chance of functioning in this browser without the need to edit the wrl using a text editor.

Field Tool-Tips Can Now be Translated to French

I have made it so that the tool-tips for the fields can now be easily translated to French.

A French translation for the new tips and messages in the global_strings.cpp file (from the seamless3d souce files). is wanted.
Any contributions will be much appreciated. Post here first to signal your intent before translating to avoid double translations.

Many thanks to Olik for helping me make seamless output H-Anim files that will open in XJ3D.

Many thanks to bumpy for helping me add transparency to the cylinder used for selecting vertices by the TransferBCyl node.
thyme
Site Admin

Postby Lilly » 19 Dec 2006, 11:12

Hello thyme

Merci beaucoup pour ce merveilleux travail
offrant de plus grande facilités...
Je vais étudier tout cela avec le robot aussi
car je sais qu'il m'est toujours facile de comprendre
avec tes démos de robot ;o)

hugzzz
Lilly

------------------

Hello thyme

Thank you very much for this magnificent work offering of bigger facilitated... I am going to study all this with the robot also because I know that it is always easy to me to understand
with your demos of robot; o)

Hugzzz Lilly
Lilly

Postby Alain » 20 Dec 2006, 07:23

I have still probs with the robot , Thyme ..
I got the zip files but , is there only a "0" step ????
Alain

Postby Lilly » 20 Dec 2006, 11:07

Bonjour Alain
il faut mettre ceci dans le dossier Seamless qui est dans tes documents
ensuite tu mets à 1 et hop en route ! :P
Joyeux Noël
hugz
Lilly
Lilly

Postby Alain » 20 Dec 2006, 12:03

as I said j'ai que 0 , none "1"
I have only "0" :(
Alain

Postby thyme » 20 Dec 2006, 13:12

Hi Lilly and Alain :)

Alain the files from the files_for_demos.zip you will need like everyone else but these files are unrelated to the problem only you get (that I know of but I am sure there will be others too) when ever the robot goes to open a file.
I have sent you the first 5 cache files for the first 5 steps (0 to 4) via email so this should let you jump to step 4 to see most of the action but you will miss out on seeing the robot import the empty skeleton and the wrl containing the static mesh so when your son is away sneak in and take a look on his computer to see the first 5 steps ;)
thyme
Site Admin

Postby Alain » 20 Dec 2006, 13:20

Lol when Asheanor is away , my wife is on the puter :))

btw I mailed you :)

I guess I need more recent files that the beeline ...

am i wrong ??

( to go to step 1 , then 2 , etc ....
Alain

Postby mars³ » 20 Dec 2006, 18:44

looks a lot easier than it was to select vertices before, but can we have standard hanim naming conventions please. and also a way of importing compliant animation. particularly max and + alias fxb (KaydaraMoCAP) formats, also would be nice to have the ability to use avatar studio animations in seamless, especially if they could be handled/converted to, an hanim/seamless/fxb friendly form.
seamless lacks an animation interface
Visit the Portal, love the bubbleVRBUBBLE.COM
mars³

Postby thyme » 22 Dec 2006, 03:27

Alain wrote:

I guess I need more recent files that the beeline ...

No Alain sorry.
Thanks for letting me know you never got the "bring to life" cache files I sent you because I was wondering why I heard no more from you (knowing how good you are at keeping in touch). I sent you the correct files after you let me know I sent you the beeline ones by mistake over 24 hours ago, so I have just sent them to you again incase they somehow got lost on the way to you.
Sorry about the slips ups I know I am making all sorts of silly mistakes (more than ever) because of the mad rush to Christmas :)
I decided to make a list of all the little nagging chores to get done before Christmas but the list just keeps getting longer! Arrrrg lol

Thanks for your feedback mars too :)

I hope you noticed the new button in the tool-bar (center view to control point) demonstrated by the robot because i remember you suggesting last year it would be good if seamless had something like this (being able to center the view to an object at a selected vertex) This was not so necessary for models made in seamless from scratch because of the center to pivot point feature but for importing static models it is a must for sure, at least at the first stage of importing.

mars wrote:
can we have standard HAnim naming conventions please

Seamless3d supports HAnim but is not designed exclusively for HAnim. The user can use standard HAnim names or names from any standard with the same amount of freedom when using a text editor.

It is important to point out here that the naming convention used is much less important for writing a standard set of gestures than the standard used for the part structure and the default pose of the avatar.
For a standard gesture library changing names is a simple matter where as changing the part structure and the default orientations for the avatar is impracticle.

Standard HAnim 2 nodes can be used for my example but the static shape for my example will not let it be a full HAnim compliant avatar because the default orientations will be wrong because its arms are pointing out straight. Because Blaxxun avatar studio avatars also have their arms like this, my example conforms to a more popular standard for the blaxxun community (in regard to single mesh animated models). It is easier for the user to import a static model with this pose too. If the standard default HAnim pose was used it will pose problems if you want lots of action sequences for your arms. (consider the amount of distortion in the shoulders if it were playing tennis) However HAnim shoulders would look better for fashion models :)
(I know there is no standard for a HAnim static model written anywhere but the standard dictates there is one)

I used names like tummy0 and tummy1 and neck0 and neck1 simply because names like vl5, vl4, vl3, vl2, vl1, vt12, vt11, vt10, vt9, vt8, vt7, vt6, vt5, vt4, vt3, vt2, vt1, vc7, vc6, vc5, vc4, vc3, vc2, vc1 sounds more like naming parts by number.
Not everyone is going to want to use English names either (French Numedia avatar studio uses French names and so too does French Seamless.
HAnim despite having more parts than one would want for real time graphics, is actually somewhat limited in what names it does have. There is no standard set of names for accessory parts or hair parts which will inevitably be needed for gesture libraries.

The HAnim floor height is not suitable for blaxun multi user worlds though it could be wrapped inside a global Transform node but the file would no longer be HAnim compliant?

I don't think its a big deal what names are used, if there is a common consensus in thinking it is still better to use HAnim names for incompatible HAnim avatars I would be happy to conform.

What is everyone's opinion on this?

also would be nice to have the ability to use avatar studio animations in seamless

It is something I want to do, finding the time is the problem. Animating all those extra parts for the arms and legs that blaxxun avatar studio avs have is not going to be much fun inside anything other than blaxxun avatar studio but perhaps it is easy to remove all the obsolete Interpolators if the gestures are to be used for avatars that use a more human friendly part structure to edit. With all the other pressing issues that need to be urgently addressed its going to have to wait I am afraid. Most of my tutorials are out of date and there are more loose ends to tie than most will ever imagine. I have a road map set out here (sorry I have not had time to translate it to English yet) for my plan to show all the steps to make seamless avatars utilizing many of the features from seamless that have yet to be documented in any detail.

and also a way of importing compliant animation. particularly max and + alias fxb (KaydaraMoCAP) formats

There is more chance of me writing a H-Anim import for x3d format first because this is relatively simple for me but I have not had any request for even this yet. I have never looked at the code for max and + alias fxb (KaydaraMoCAP) formats and so I am unfamiliar with it. Can Max export single mesh models to H-Anim 2 nodes in x3d or VRML format yet?

seamless lacks an animation interface

? Have you seen the "beeline to animation" and/or "build an avatar" demos yet?
I have not seen max's animation interface but in comparing seamless to blaxxun avatar studio, a program noted for its ease to animate a model, Seamless3d compares very well. There are a few things I want to improve such as adding a slider bar for marking time better and I want to add markers to let the user know where a pose has been captured (would make deleting a pose easier) Apart from seamless offering a lot more options, I much prefer Seamless's interface because of the recent control points I added to the 3d window. I find this feature makes posing much easier and faster. Alain (and perhaps his pupils) has some very good action examples to show for this feature:

http://www2.ac-lyon.fr/etab/colleges/co ... matrix.wrl

http://louisedesavoie.forumactif.com/vi ... um?p=53199

(I am assuming this feature was used)

regards
Last edited by thyme on 22 Dec 2006, 04:30, edited 2 times in total.
thyme
Site Admin

Postby thyme » 22 Dec 2006, 04:16

I forgot to mention in the last post under mars's quote

also would be nice to have the ability to use avatar studio animations in seamless

Actually there is (and pretty much always has been) for hand coders. The Interpolators and ROUTEs can be copied from the wrl relatively easily and pasted directly to the smls file using a text editor the same way you would do the task if working with vrml files.

http://www.seamless3d.com/tut/import_av ... index.html

If you use vrmlpad it helps to get the syntax error working for seamless nodes.
http://www.seamless3d.com/tut/smls_vrmlpad/index.html
This error checking file needs updating but is relatively easy to do too.

Miranda and barphe had this done for their bxx imported avatars BTW.
thyme
Site Admin

Postby thyme » 22 Dec 2006, 13:47

I have just updated and uploaded the seamless3d_nodes.wrl for vrmlPad:

http://www.seamless3d.com/tut/smls_vrmlpad/index.html

I have added the new ImmediatePart which will be good for imported blaxxun avatar studio avatars and have added the new specialized Build nodes. I am sure I will have missed some new field I have forgotten about. There is always going to be errors in many smls files using VrmlPad now because smls files have more options than vrml allows, however just for simple Part structures that contain geometry, ROUTEs and standard VRML interpolators, It should show up error free.
thyme
Site Admin

Postby thyme » 30 Dec 2006, 11:48

2.118 Is Ready for Download

http://www.seamless3d.com/download

A number of important bug fixes have been made.

Double Click Replaces Single Click To Hide A Part

This means that a Part node can now be selected by clicking directly on it's icon and so should avoid a bit of confusion to newbies.
To hide a Part it is the same a before except you must double click to do this. It is also possible to hide or show a part by right clicking on the Part's icon and selecting hide or show.

Static Model Improved for Bring to Life Example

The static_model.wrl in the file files_for_demos.zip proved to have a problem in that the feet were to close to each other for the Cylinder's to be able to isolate one foot entirely from the other. Because of this I have modified the static model so that it's feet are just far enough away from each other to make the demo do as intended.

Mouse Wheel Refined

Bumpy has been hacking seamless's source code over the Christmas period. Because he has a mouse wheel and I don't, he has been able to improve the mouse wheel a lot. He has made it so the wheel will zoom the 3d window when ever the mouse is over the 3d window and will scroll the scene tree window when ever the mouse is over the scene tree window regardless of whether the scene tree window is the active window or not. This should make the wheel much more practical to use.
Only a few lines of code were added to make this improvement.
thyme
Site Admin

Postby Alain » 30 Dec 2006, 20:01

Bumpy has been hacking seamless's source code

tsssssss Bumpy ! that is bad ! :))

I will try the last version and hope to see you in 2006 , Thyme :)

on chat of course lol
Alain

Postby Lilly » 30 Dec 2006, 20:01

merci thyme

mais quelle est cette souris qui bourdonne dans une fénêtre ? :lol:
Lilly

Postby bumpy » 03 Jan 2007, 09:00

Hi Alain, Lilly, yes it is fun to hack the Seamless code :P
I do hope my hack, which thyme has kindly included in this version, makes it better not worse :lol:
bumpy

Next

Return to Seamless3d Forum