2.101 demonstrates 60 leaves created from a single leaf

News, Discussions, Questions and Answers

Postby thyme » 08 Jun 2006, 18:06

2.101 is ready for download from:

http://www.seamless3d.com/download

The goal of this version has been to be able to run a techuelife island tree script and so the necessary C++ instructions have been added.
This script creates 60 leaf copies from a single leaf. Each leaf copy is positioned and rotated from look up data contained in a multiple Vec3f container and a multiple Rotation container. The 60 leaves end up in a single IndexedFaceSet. This is more efficient than using 60 Transform nodes with each one referencing a single leaf because 60 Transform nodes would have to be calculated for every frame.

To witness this first for seamless:
Click on the web button and paste in the fowling url into the worldUrl field:

http://www.seamless3d.com/wrl/techuelif ... e_s9b.smls

then click go.

Same as the previous hoppy demonstration, the C++ script can be output as JavaScript so that it can run in a VRML browser.
After the smls is output as a wrl you will also want to delete the numbers generated by the script or the file will be much bigger than it needs to be.
field data to delete:
All of the coords, normals and the coordIndex for the leavesIfs IndexedFaceSet and the fields inside the script node indexDest, coordDest and
normalDest

This version of seamless has had a number of bugs fixed including the bug reported by Taranis that would cause seamless to crash if an Appearance node was clicked (and not dragged) in the hoppy script example.

I wanted to get this demonstration uploaded earlier but a few events slowed me down such as my new 17" flat screen CRT monitor dieing on me a few days ago :( I have ordered a new 17" LCD to replace it. I hope LCDs are less likely to die, my 17" CRT was only about 23 months old. It will be about a week before my LCD arrives in the post so in the mean time I am using my old 14" bubble screened monitor! arrrrrg it's horrible! The highest resolution I can use is only 800 by 600! I don't know how I ever used it for so many years without going mad lol
thyme
Site Admin

Postby bumpy » 10 Jun 2006, 13:21

hi thyme!

I tried the tree out and it worked beautifully; changed the number of leaves to 3 and.. nothing happened until i re opened the file.. it really works! This is awsome stuff thyme :D

btw I found the asm code for the bumpy maze game we wrote and it had most of the C code in comments so managed to get it working in VC6. Now to convert it to seamless C++ :?

Sorry to hear about the monitor :cry:

bumpy
bumpy

Postby thyme » 10 Jun 2006, 20:14

Thanks bumpy for the feedback its really good to hear what I uploaded worked on someone else's computer some where else in the world (even if its in the same country)

I looked for your original DOS C++ Bumpy game file and think I found it!!!! :P . It seemed to short at first and thought there must be another file but to find out I tried compiling it on my MS 2005 express compiler and all I had to do to make it compile was add the following dummy functions:
void delay(int);
void sound(int);
void nosound();

and I had to change a few DOS 16 bit assembly calls. So apart from a few sound and delay functions I think l must have it all :D

Wow how did you write all the artificial intelligence with such a few lines of code?

I will send you the file so that you can verify if this is all of it.

Would be just so great as a demonstration to show off what seamless's C++ script compiler can do :)

You will need to make a few changes like converting the low level arrays to high level containers but that's hardly going to be a challenge. The biggest issues that come to mind is the conversion of the 16 bit DOS graphics to 3d VRML/Seamless3d graphics and I must add keyboard input and programmable sound for seamless. Thanks to seamless script being C++ compatible the debugging can all be done using professional tools!

Thanks Bumpy for writing such a great game back in the beginning of the 90s on your 286 :)
thyme
Site Admin

Postby Lilly » 10 Jun 2006, 21:36

je vois que vous avez encore beaucoup travaillé
mais j'attends que thyme est dormi afin qu'il puisse
m'expliquer tout celà ;o)))
bonne nuit thymou !
bisouxoxoxoxoxox
:wink:
( moi je viens de faire ce tag...)
Lilly

Postby Alain » 10 Jun 2006, 22:22

automn

:)

hey Thyme ! replace your logo up there :)
Alain

Postby thyme » 11 Jun 2006, 22:35

Lovely Golden Autumn Leaves Alain :)
Thanks for showing it outputs fine in france too :)

Your gold leaves reminds me of a chrome version I made of the tree some years ago:

http://www.seamless3d.com/wrl/techuelif ... reeS9B.wrl

using holger's special chrome effect (non Vrml97)
You must rotate the tree to see the effect at its best.

Thanks for the reminder Alain I have put pagan's logo back now :)

Sorry Lilly :) the short version is: (in regard to the game me and bumpy were talking about)

Bumpy wrote a 2d arcade maze game for MS DOS in the early 90s using the popular computer programming language C++.
Because Seamless uses C++ for online scripts we both think it will be very exciting to make his game work for seamless :)
Then his game can be played by all on the internet.
Bumpy's game was a lot of fun to play :)
This was a 2d game but these types of games are great for playability and the 2d graphics can be replaced with more exciting 3d graphics by simply using polygons instead of pixels to make the characters.
thyme
Site Admin

Postby Lilly » 11 Jun 2006, 22:44

this tree is geant !
( thyme tree and my Cybertown house ( Maiden)

Lilly

Postby thyme » 11 Jun 2006, 22:47

heheheh Lilly :) and looks like you got the tree to output too! :P bisous
thyme
Site Admin

Postby Lilly » 11 Jun 2006, 22:52

ehehe yes thymou it's easy ;o)
bisous
Lilly

Postby Lilly » 11 Jun 2006, 23:18

ah j'aimerais bien voir ce jeu alors :P
Lilly

Postby Alain » 12 Jun 2006, 09:12

me too .....where it is ????

and :

tree contest LOL :

http://perso.orange.fr/alaindumenieu/ar ... utomn3.wrl

dont look at the code LOL , I entered it in spazz LOL
Alain

Postby thyme » 12 Jun 2006, 20:43

Sorry the game is not ready for seamless yet, me and bumpy have not started yet on making it work for seamless but I don't think it will take long once we start. I need to add sound and keyboard input for seamless first.
I like your tree with the shadow and the animated light Alain. I can just imagine clouds moving across a moon lit sky. Sorry I looked at the code heheh and can see you are using the blaxxun shadow node. I never used this node but I think shadows are great and want to add this capability to seamless.
thyme
Site Admin

Postby Lilly » 12 Jun 2006, 22:43

c'est super Alain mais il faut ajouter des ruines
et des chauves-souris vampire !
Et puis la lune aussi... et une mare lol

Ah thyme je suis impatiente de savoir qu'il y aura un jeu un jour ;o)

amitié et bisous
Lilly

Lilly

Postby bumpy » 18 Jun 2006, 06:51

I've been itching to start on the bumpy game in seamless so I had a go at creating a maze using a similar method to the leaves in thyme's tree.
i.e. placing tiles that make up the maze floor using an M_Int array where 0 = no tile and 1 = tile. It worked :o Here is the result :D .

http://users.tpg.com.au/mperrett/smls/MazeTest01.smls

I also put in a monster just for fun.. he's very scary :wink: .

thyme,

I coudn't figure out how to copy the color field so the tiles are all a boring grey.
I tried using M_Color for the color per vertex data in a similar way to the M_Vec3f for the coords but with no success :? .

When i tried to output to VRML i got a bad assignement error. I tracked it down to a line in the output vrml script:
(pos is a Vec3f)

coordDest[dci++] = coordSrc[i] + pos;

which i don't think is valid vrml script so i changed it to:

coordDest[dci++] = pos.add(coordSrc[i]);

I also had a problem with integer truncation (no modulo '%' operator yet thyme?) so had to change:
(the maze is 25 tiles wide)

z = locIdx / 25;
x = locIdx - z * 25;

to:

x = locIdx % 25;
z = (locIdx - x) / 25;

which seems to work ok.

bumpy :D
bumpy

Postby Alain » 18 Jun 2006, 21:15

LOL :)

Alain