BVH Import, ModelMorpher, Easier Textures & More For 2.130

News, Discussions, Questions and Answers

BVH Import, ModelMorpher, Easier Textures & More For 2.130

Postby thyme » 05 Mar 2008, 16:26

Hi Seamless Friends, the big wait is finally over :mrgreen:

Open Source Seamless3d 2.130 (including French and English versions) is available for download from:

http://www.seamless3d.com/download

This version is largely the result of 4 different projects:

Adding a BVH import feature,
Developing a ModelMorpher to make coordinate interpolation easier than using VrmlPad.
Making textures easier
Dragging aids for the NurbsPatch node.

Also a new field the pivotPoint was added to the part node while developing the BVH import feature. This field should greatly simplify making anything animated and perhaps will make the CenterJoint node obsolete.

For instructions on how to import and use BVH files see:
Importing BVH files:
http://www.seamless3d.com/tut/bvh/index.html

For instructions on how to use the new model ModelMorpher see:
Model Morphing:
http://www.seamless3d.com/tut/morphing_ ... index.html

There is no longer any need to convert a SphereBuild, CylinderBuild, ConeBuild, TorusBuild, BezierLaheBuild, BoxBuild, RectangleBuild, NurbsLathe or a BendyLathe to a NurbsPatch to be able to texture the shapes generated by these nodes because a TextureMapper can now be directly plugged into them. Also when any of these nodes are added using the tool bar a TextureMapper is automatically added to the build node if the Seamless node has a TextureMapper plugged in.
For instructions on how to use the TextureMapper see the updated:
Texture Mapping Tutorial:
http://www.seamless3d.com/tut/texture_m ... index.html

NurbsPatch Dragging Aids
When a NurbsPatch control point back faces the user it no longer can be clicked and dragged unless it is already selected. This prevents the user from accidently dragging control points we don't see or intend to drag.
The NurbsPatch also has 4 new fields added to assist editing the patch.
showAll when checked shows all control points. When unchecked all obsolete mid control points (such as those derived from a lathe) are kept hidden from view and are automatically calculated from the visible control points when ever a control point is dragged.
beginSP causes the first ring of control points to act like a single control point when dragged. This is very useful for shapes derived from lathes, sphere, cylinders and cones.
endSP is the same as beginSP except it applies the last ring of control points.
uJoinEnds causes the control points on the right edge to behave as if they are joined to the left edge (the vertical imaginary seam where the control points meet). This field will be set after converting from a lathe, sphere, cylinder or cone.

The NurbsPatch's beginSP, endSP & uJoinEnds fields are similar to the Stem node's beginSP, endSP and joinEnds. In context to a NurbsPatch they apply to the control points and in context to a Stem they apply to the mesh vertices.

Many thanks to Griff for first opening my eyes to BVH back in September 2005,
to Lilly for testing the new texture features,
and to Alain for his feed back which led to the development of the ModelMorpher.

kind regards to All :mrgreen:
thyme
Site Admin

Re: BVH Import, ModelMorpher, Easier Textures & More For 2.130

Postby thyme » 05 Mar 2008, 22:20

Great to hear Dear Alain :mrgreen:
Your quick example looks very smooth and I see you did the lathe with closed ends too :P

When first developing the ModelMorpher I was not sure how to relate it to the Anim node and wondered if this might be difficult to achieve but in the end it all seemed to work out nicely. I like how the ModelMorpher makes it easy to reference the last pose with the first.

I made a simple avatar only a few days ago using this new ModelMorpher and showed Miranda, Skippy and others in the blaxxun community it's 2 gestures. They seemed impressed with it :) So thanks much Alain for pointing out how you found VrmlPad easier than using the old Seamless morpher node, this served as a challenge to make Seamless at least as easy and hopefully a lot more fun :mrgreen:
thyme
Site Admin

Postby Alain » 05 Mar 2008, 22:37

yes yes it works very well ...
but I will have some questions when I will have the time to look at it more closer

because when you have the patch , all is ok , but if you want to color points oe change a bit the shape ,
you havent still the morpher working if you convert to a bleu node ..

or I was lost or I looked at too quickly ..

But it seems a great tool , btw

ps where is that one , Thyme ?

I made a simple avatar only a few days ago using this new ModelMorpher and showed Miranda, Skippy and others in the blaxxun community it's 2 gestures.

curious to look at it :)
Alain

Postby thyme » 05 Mar 2008, 23:22

Alain wrote:curious to look at it :)

Its nothing much Alain and here it will look just like the default shape for the NurbsLathe:

http://www.seamless3d.com/av/thyme/mode ... r_test.wrl

If used as an avatar however the first 2 gestures will morph it 2 different ways.

This was all it was made for, to test to see if gestures would work in bxx for this type of animation without any help from a text editor :)

See the Morphing Models tut for how to set up gestures:

you can add as many gestures as you like BTW

Alain wrote:because when you have the patch , all is ok , but if you want to color points oe change a bit the shape ,
you havent still the morpher working if you convert to a bleu node ..

I understand the color problem Alain, I will paste my answer from the tutorial here:
Morphing a Model wrote:If you want to change the color you only need to change the color for the first Seamless node in the ModelMorpher but the color will not update unless you close Seamless3d down and reopen or alternatively make a copy of the top Seamless node and delete the old one. (adding a new Seamless node causes the ModelMorpher to reinitialize internally)

I guess some time in the future I could make seamless know when to update for any color changes.

I did not think the blue part would be any different to using a white part. I mostly tested using white parts but I did test blue parts too (using the raidial tug) but I know its easy for me to add a bug right at the end so I will test it out using blue parts some more and get back to you Alain.
thyme
Site Admin

Postby fabricator » 06 Mar 2008, 12:14

The easier texture mapping will certainly be a popular feature.

Nice to see you implemented key frame reduction on the converted BVH animations, called 'reduce capured poses' in the menu. Have you tried it with really big BVH files yet ?

One thing to remember is BVH animations don't have consistant Joint names or structures. 90% of the files I've found are usable, sometimes with minor changes. The remainder have glitches in the animations, or extra/missing joints. Still its all fun to play around with.

I recommend using Poser to make BVH animations, its the most user friendly way.

I'll try out Seamless3d 2.130 and run some proper checks of the new features, this certainly is an exciting set of new features.

Keep up the good work Thyme.
fabricator

Postby thyme » 06 Mar 2008, 14:09

Alain I tried testing the blue parts again for the ModelMorpher and found it behaved as it should, I am wondering now if you are confused by the fact that once a Seamless node is selected (including any of its descendent nodes), the selected Seamless nodes is displayed as a static model in the 3d window even when the Anim node is playing (showing a moving slider). I can understand how this can be confusing to begin with and I did think about this being a problem to solve but I no longer see it as a problem. I could make it so the Anim window closes automatically perhaps but I don't think this would really achieve anything other than perhaps make it feel more intuitive for a short time. The thing to understand is when a Seamless node is selected it is for editing the shape for that key frame and when any other node (that is not a Seamless node contained in the ModelMorpher) is selected the ModelMorpher will animate in accordance to the Anim bar. Because this type of animation is about modeling the shape for a key frame it would make little sense to have the Anim bar take control over what is displayed while we have one of the key frames selected.
I think once one has got acquainted with it should all feel natural. If not please let me know and I will give it more thought.

Something that would be very easy to implement next would be to add the option of morphing colours. How good was this be you think Alain?

kind regards

fabricator wrote:Nice to see you implemented key frame reduction on the converted BVH animations, called 'reduce capured poses' in the menu. Have you tried it with really big BVH files yet ?

Thanks Fab :)

One of the biggest bvh files I have tried that looks life like is the karate.bvh file from:

http://www.cs.rit.edu/usr/local/pub/ncs ... /JodyS/bvh

This is 389 KB
When converted to smls and saved (gzipped) with no reduction it is 182 KB
When reduced by 10 captures for every 1 the smls file is reduced to only 22KB
This is a rather drastic reduction and I think much of the quality is lost but I am surprised at the same time how good it still looks.
thyme
Site Admin

Postby Alain » 06 Mar 2008, 14:39

morphing colours. How good was this be you think Alain?

lol nice idea but let me re try the shapes first please :)

after that I will take a look at the bvh stuff :)
Alain

Postby Lilly » 07 Mar 2008, 00:13

Alain please,
peux tu m'expliquer rapidement ce que tout cela signifie
car moi je ne sais pas de quoi il s'agit
et thyme est contrarié
car moi je ne sais pas
merci
amitié
lilly
Lilly

Postby thyme » 07 Mar 2008, 01:29

Please see the ModelMorpher example I sent Lilly
Matthieu may translate the tutorial soon but it is the pictures I show in the ModelMorpher tutorial that are most important to study.
I tried to make this node non technical so that anyone can have fun with it but like most new things some time will be needed to become familiar with it.
With a little time playing with it should become very easy to use.
Isa has found a bug which I think happens if you add more than one part node to the seamless node. I will fix this and have a new version uploaded within 24 hours I hope.
bisous
thyme
thyme
Site Admin

Postby Alain » 07 Mar 2008, 06:22

well Lilly ,

c'est juste ça :

1 Create a new smls file by clicking from the main tool bar.
2 Open the scene tree window and add a NurbsLathe for the selected part (just click the NurbsLathe icon in the main toolbar).

3 Click the ModelMorpher icon in the main tool bar.
4 Select the second NurbsLathe node in the scene:

and drag one or any number of it's control.
5 select the Anim node and click play

Done!

les images sont dans :

Donc , dans la barre d'anim tu te met au milieu
( 0.5 )

et tu deformes " the second NurbsLathe " , celui de la part10

....pour voir le morphing et sauver , faut ensuite laisser selectionnner l ' anim dans le Tree ..
( et le mettre loop par ex ..........)
then .......... output ......
Alain

Postby Lilly » 07 Mar 2008, 08:29

Bonjour Alain et merci
ba voilà lorsqu'on m'explique calmement et en français
par des phrases courtes et simples je comprends ! :lol:
merci cher Alain pour me mettre de bonne humeur :P
pardi ya pas d'quoi fouetter un chat ! Image
bonne journée
bisous
Lilly
Lilly

Postby Lilly » 07 Mar 2008, 09:20

:roll:
Last edited by Lilly on 07 Mar 2008, 13:28, edited 1 time in total.
Lilly

Postby Lilly » 07 Mar 2008, 09:31

pas la peine j'ai compris eheheheheheheh
attends un peu je vais lui mettre une texture
pour montrer ce que sait faire une mangeuse de grenouilles :P
Lilly

Postby Lilly » 07 Mar 2008, 09:51

http://pageperso.aol.fr/DouceCitronnelle/lilymorfle.wrl

et voilà ce que peux faire une mangeuse d'escargots !
mais je n'ai pas pu mettre de texture ce sans coutures se ferme
merci Alain de ta bienveillance ;o)
bisous
LIlly
Lilly

Next

Return to Seamless3d Forum