Seamless Goes Open Source Under the MIT Licence for 2.102

News, Discussions, Questions and Answers

Seamless Goes Open Source Under the MIT Licence for 2.102

Postby thyme » 23 Jun 2006, 22:01

2.102 is now ready for download at:

http://www.seamless3d.com/download

The source code files are now available for download under the MIT licence. This is not only of interest to programmers and those who appreciate the extra security for one's time invested in a program, please note that if you want to be able to debug scripts especially scripts that are more than just a few lines long you may be able to benefit greatly by being able to debug your code using free standard powerful debugging tools.

The step by step instructions for how to compile the Seamless3d source code files using the free Microsoft Visual C++ 8 express 2005 compiler is available here:

http://www.seamless3d.com/tut/compile_source

Post here or send me an email if something does not work please!

It is great to see Microsoft states: Effective April 19th, 2006, all Visual Studio 2005 Express Editions are free permanently.

Seamless3d is currently compiled and developed using this compiler so I can very highly recommend it.

Instructions for how to use the KDevelop IDE for Linux is planned for the future after a version has been developed that renders the 3d graphics using the Messa3d library and after a port to Linux has been accomplished.

Scripting is normally thought of as writing trivial code where all one needs is a simple text editor to create the code but to write scripts that are a little more challenging, unless you are very clever you are probably going to greatly benefit by tools that let you insert breakpoints and that let you single step though your code frozen in time.

The following Tutorial:

http://www.seamless3d.com/tut/bind_nodes

shows how anyone can utilise the source files for seamless3d to bind nodes from a .smls or .wrl file to a C++ file that gets compiled with all the seamless source files (as part of the program)
Working with a standard compiler at this stage of seamless's development will also have benefits by verifying first how the C++ code is meant to behave for seamless.
The main challenge for beginners will be setting up the C++ compiler to compile Win32 and DirectX files. After this it should be a breeze for anyone use to VRML and JavaScript.

2.102 has had a few bugs fixed in regard to importing Build nodes.
All deficiencies reported by bumpy for 2.101 for the script compiler have been fixed for 2.102
thyme
Site Admin

Postby bumpy » 25 Jun 2006, 04:40

thyme :D ,

This is the start of a new era in seamless3d! How fantastic it is for u to share this wonderful code with all :D

I am donwloading the VC8 compiler :roll: as i write this so will let you know how i go with the tut soon.

This is very exciting stuf thyme!

All the best,
bumpy
bumpy

Postby bumpy » 25 Jun 2006, 15:00

Following the "step by step instructions for how to compile the Seamless3d source code files using the free Microsoft Visual C++ 8 express 2005 compiler" i finally downloaded everything and got it compiling but there were a few moments of confusion :oops:

VC8++ Directories
This step shows "Executable files" in the "Show directories for:" drop down list but I needed to select "Include files" for the include directories and "Library files" for the lib folders.

Direct X 9 SDK
I also installed DX9 as the tut said but the solution was tring to link DX8 after tracking down all the places i needed to fix up i read to the end of the tut and you had it all there. I guess i should have seen the dx_8 in the dx_8.1_corewin_express.xml file name. Maybe just uploading the solution with dx9 would be simpler? :roll:

Now I think I have it all compiled and linked correctly; When i run it i see the black seamless3d window with my latest 3d model in it. The Keboard F10 brings up the menu and T brings up the scene tree but i can't get the mouse to work :? . Oh! I remember adding DIRECTINPUT_VERSION=0x0900 preprocessor definitions cos i guessed it wos needed but I also noticed dinput8.lib is still current...

I've changed it back to DIRECTINPUT_VERSION=0x0800, a rebuild all and everything works beautifully :D

Fantastic stuff thyme :D . Next weekend i will have a go at the bind_node tut.

bumpy
bumpy

Postby thyme » 26 Jun 2006, 11:03

Many thanks for ironing out the steps for everyone else bumpy :D, I have added 3 subsections (exe, include and lib) for the section on adding the directory entries and some extra pics to go with them.

Sorry about the confusion between DirectX 8.1 and 9
I have made this more clear by changing the heading to:

Change corewin_express.vsprops for Linking Win32 and DirectX 8.1

The exe that is uploaded is compiled for DX8.1 because although most have DX9 now, the big problem is what version of DX9 does everyone have. For the source it may be even more complicated because some of the older versions of DX9 use different C++ functions and so the only way I would be able to guarantee the source will compile with the latest, would be to always have the latest SDK installed on my computer. Because not everyone will have the latest SDK on their computer DX8.1 should be more reliable than DX9 for both the exe and the default setting for the source. However with DX10 now well on the horizon DX9 should become as reliable as DX8.1 in the not to distant future.
thyme
Site Admin

Postby thyme » 30 Jun 2006, 16:28

I found a random bug that makes seamless close straight after downloading a smls file from the web.
Why I did not notice this bug in earlier versions I am a little baffled but it is fixed now for 2.103 which is now ready for download.
thyme
Site Admin

Postby thyme » 02 Jul 2006, 05:09

Bumpy found that the C++ file seamless generates for binding does not bind :shock:
I have fixed this bug for 2.104 so this has now been ironed out if you use the latest version.
Many thanks to bumpy for pointing this out :D
thyme
Site Admin

Return to Seamless3d Forum