Sound Alarm When a Visitor Joins a World for 2.138

News, Discussions, Questions and Answers

Sound Alarm When a Visitor Joins a World for 2.138

Postby thyme » 26 May 2008, 20:40

Open Source Seamless3d 2.138 (including French and English versions and the server) is available for download from:

http://www.seamless3d.com/download

Seamless3d can now open windows media player and play a song of your choice when your avatar is left in the world by itself to notify you have company.
I would have like a feature like this for blaxxun or msn.
I know msn has a sound alarm of its own but thats not enough for me, With this feature you can leave WMP on very loud so that you can be out in the garden while you wait for someone to join you in VR :) A rock song with drums and bass is especially effective at long distances,

To do this all you have to do is add a mp3 (or any media file WMP can play) to your alarmFile field.
Currently you must add the whole path without any quotes as shown in the following example:

All the fields for the OpenNetFile control panel now get saved with the Settings when you exit Seamless3d.

You can now see who is in a world using IE or Firefox (or hopefully any html web browser) by opening a html page that gets served by the Seamless3d Server.

To test this feature out using your web browser click on the following link:

http://www.seamless3d.com/wrl/test_mu/index.php

The title bar now flashes in the task bar whenever some speaks and when it is not the active window (like it use to before I added the new GUI)

I have gone back to having the server as a separate program because I can see advantages this way since the previous experiment of having both server and client in the one program.
The server is only 27 k in size (unzipped) and uses very little CPU power because it is event driven so its not extravagant to run it separately.
Apart from making it easier for me the developer, what I like about having the server separate is, whoever hosts a world can leave the world without closing down the server for everyone else who may want to stay and chat.
The server is unlikely to rob anyone's bandwidth significantly.
A feature (as an option) could be added for the server to close down automatically when the last person exits the world.

All of the work done for 2.137 was not all lost.
Most of my time spent for the last few weeks has been simply familiarizing my self with server terms, learning PHP (which I have no history in) and learning how to install PHP and an apache server on my computer (which I have never done before) to make developing scripts easier.
For those who want to learn PHP and in a situation like myself I found you can just download wamp which has apache, PHP and mysql (which I have not used yet) all in one as a single windows installer. Very Easy!

The auto update of the IP still works for 2.138 but only for the server which makes hosting a world for people like me on dialup no more work than double clicking a bat file.

The server should no longer be run by double clicking the exe because it now it needs the PHP world url given as a parameter.
The easiest way to do this is to use a bat file
Look at my example if you download the seamless3d_server.zip file (which is located on the source code page)

I forgot to mention for the last version I fixed the chat log file.
It is now saved to:

My Documents\Seamless3d\Application Data For Seamless3d\chat.txt
thyme
Site Admin

Re: Sound Alarm When a Visitor Joins a World for 2.138

Postby prototyper » 27 May 2008, 06:33

hi Thyme :D this is somethng i am sure everyone will appreciate... so many times when i have been out of the room away from the pc /laptop is the one time suddenly that a guest arrives... it's the same thing too in r/l when you visit the bathroom the door bell rings or the telephone! Well done Thyme... if only other systems would incorporate something as neat as this!

smiles from the windy north of England!
proto :D
prototyper

Postby tutancamon » 27 May 2008, 07:27

Boss, the latest version of Seamless3d not work so good on my computer; but version from the Yesterday, Yes, work, but none peoples on line ...
Bugs for version of Yesterday:
1) Still do crush at MAXIMIZE
2) Chat window too large at startup
3) Connect window small.
Sugestions:
0) DEBUG that cronic problem with 'crushing at MAXIMIZE'
1) Put online all versions of Your application. Make an history of those versions ...
2) Make the HELP more explicit. If You wont that peoples to use Your editor, than You must make a good helper.
3) Make Connect window LARGE and Chat window SMALL

Yous EDITOR is a performant software, take care with his documentations . Without documentations, peoples will not know al facilityes of Your 'Seamless3d' even You make Publicity for him. Boss not all peoples are matematicians or programmers ... :D

P.S.
1) I know, and I use an excelent package for 'Apache Server': XAMPP
2) Talk with PETER about an excelent TTS from MS-Agent. :D
3) ThankYou for Your usefule viewtopic.php?f=1&t=264&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=45#p2294 . I post about this, on http://vrmlserver.xooit.com/t55-Graham- ... -dixit.htm

All the best for You and our Friends

:P

Your tutancamon
= WEB ART =
tutancamon

Postby thyme » 27 May 2008, 13:23

heheh thanks proto :P

hi tutancamon thanks for posting my message on the V.R.M.L. Server forum :mrgreen:

The server was probably not running when you tried the current version: 2.138
Before entering a world in Seamless3d check firist using IE or firefox by clicking on:

http://www.seamless3d.com/wrl/test_mu/index.php

If this page displays the Number of visitors is 0 or more you know the server is running.
If you get a HTTP 404 - File not found message then the chances are the server is not there.

I wonder if your video card does not have enough memory for the 3d window when it is maximised?
I much want to know if you can drag the borders of the 3d window to make it bigger at all?

I will try to write more help soon on my chat system, the problem is it takes many full on hours just to upload a new version and it often leaves me feeling exhausted.
Why this takes so many hours is a mystery to me but there is a lot of testing and it takes time just to explain all the new features added, at least for me it does.

Please don't use 2.137 anymore to login because it will change the IP address for the server if it fails to login which will then stop others from being able to login thereafter untill the server is reset. I think this feature in 2.137 has been shown to be flawed.

I am not sure I want to support old versions online because my time is limited and old versions can cause problems not being forward compatible with the current version.
However I keep the source code of every version so that I can go back to some old proven feature.

I know 2.138 has bugs but it would be nice to establish if anyone can at least login using IE or FireFox while the server is running.
I just realised I could add some PHP to log the time when someone opens the page then I will know if the server was running at the time the test was made.
This PHP could be good for many things I can see now :P

best wishes & thanks for your help
thyme

PS Peter was able to login this morning using 2.138
thyme
Site Admin

Postby Peter » 27 May 2008, 20:21

Lol, Thyme. Sorry for triggering "Bohemian Rhapsody" this morning at 5 AM. My apolgies go also to all the people living with you and the possums on the roof.

Huggs,

Peter
Peter

Postby tutancamon » 27 May 2008, 22:45

Mister Thyme,
Yes, Your chat client work on my computer.
1)
thymeet : what is your fps tutancamon?
tutancamon : 6.72 - 6.99
tutancamon : 7.07
thymeet : is it slow in blaxxun or only here tut?
ANSWER: on blaxxun is more fast like here.
2)
thymeet : windows media player never plays for you tut?
ANSWER: Yes play, but now and here, not play
3)
thymeet : open seamless and join
thymeet : then open another seamless and join
ANSWER: seamless3d.exe at me, doesn't accept more instances
tutancamon : :-( How I can make to work many instances of seamless3d ?
4)
thymeet : the server is a tinly program, only 27 kb and is very easy to run
thymeet : and it uses very little CPU power
thymeet : u can test the server tutan
ANSWER: seamless3d_server.exe not work. He give me just this mesage error: "Error executing program!"
5)
Peter : tutan, now we leave here and you start your seamless server, okay?
Peter : i'll try to join in 2 minutes
tutancamon : Eh, need more time ...
Peter : why, you just need to run it
tutancamon : About 1 hour ...
Peter : wh that??
tutancamon : A, need Apache server ...
Peter : no, you don't need apache
tutancamon : and need no IP, and so on ...
See on chat.txt

And test_mu.php is not a text file !

tutancamon
= WEB ART =
tutancamon

Postby thyme » 29 May 2008, 09:59

Hi Peter thanks much for your help, don't worry about waking me up this was the test and it worked well :), and its my fault if I leave my av in a world by itself lol, so I hope don't hesitate to visit any world being hosted, it was great chatting to you :mrgreen:

Hi tutancamon :mrgreen:

Sorry for the delay in my reply to your questions but I have been very busy working on chat tutorials which I hope will answer most of your questions.

Seamless3d Chat
Hosting a World Using the Seamless3d Server
How to Let Others Chat In Your SMLS File

The php file you are referring to that is not php is most likely the world smls file that got saved with a php extension.
How did this happen?
The current idea is you use a php file (or any simular type server side scripting language, or a plain html file) with the exact same name as the world smls file you want to chat in.
The php file sets up the smls file for chat much like how blaxxun contact uses a html file to set up the wrl for chat.
When you exit seamless3d it will prompt you if you want to save the smls world file. There is no need to do this but if you save the file with the filename specified as it is, the smls file gets saved with a .php extension. Seamless3d should have performed a "save file as" procedure but I can see it does not but you can do a manual save file as but whatever for now this is not a big problem just rename the saved php file to a smls file.

Are you sure the seamless3d server crashed? or did it just exit?
You must run the seamless3d server by clicking on a bat file. If you run it by double clicking on the exe it will exit immediately.
You can not run more than one instance of the server at once.
You can send me the server log file if you wish for me see where abouts it exits but my guess is this is not necessary just yet.

I get a much higher FPS for seamless3d than contact for a single avatar but I have not made a detailed test and large worlds may be very different.
Video card works differently for different systems too.
Have you compared the FPS for the exact same world with the same window size?
To see the FPS in contact press F7 and look at the status bar.

Peter is right you don't need an apache server or have PHP setup on your computer to open a world online for chat.
The reason I have an apache server setup on my computer is because it makes developing php scripts much easier than uploading a php file to the net each time I make a change to the php script.
Also it lets me test php scripts when I am not connected to the internet which is an issue for me being on dialup.

I do not know why you can not run more than once instance of Seamless3d (the modeller) on your computer, I have no problem running 3 instances on my computer unless I have lots of other applications running, can you run more than one instance of contact?
Does Contact use hardware or software mode on your computer?
Do you use OpenGL or DirectX for contact?

Thanks for your interest and help :P

regards

thyme
thyme
Site Admin

Postby tutancamon » 29 May 2008, 19:39

NODES.SMLS
Boss, Your Editor can have a colection of seamless3d nodes :D
Exactly like any VRML colection of nodes.
See on ParallelGraphics/VrmlPad/Nodes/*. all colection of wrl nodes.
For example, for 'Blaxxun Contact 3D 5.0' we have 'Blaxxun Contact 3D 5.0.wrl':
Code: Select all
#VRML V2.0 utf8
#!Description: Blaxxun Contact 3D VRML extension nodes
#!Version: 1.1
#!Priority: 80

## History:
## 2001/06/21 Created by Ildar Khairoutdinov based on http://www.blaxxun.com/support/developerguide/developer/contact/3d/nodes.html
## 2002/01/04 Updated by IldKh (Layer2D, Transform2D)

EXTERNPROTO BspGroup [ #!%group{*}
field SFVec3f bboxSize #!(-1 -1 -1)
field SFVec3f bboxCenter
exposedField MFNode children
eventIn MFNode addChildren
eventIn MFNode removeChildren
eventOut SFNode bspTree
]
[ "urn:inet:blaxxun.com:node:BspGroup" "http://www.blaxxun.com/vrml/protos/nodes.wrl#BspGroup" ]
EXTERNPROTO BspTree [ #!%common{*}
exposedField SFRotation plane #!%orient
field SFNode front
field SFNode overlap
field SFNode back
]
[ "urn:inet:blaxxun.com:node:BspTree" "http://www.blaxxun.com/vrml/protos/nodes.wrl#BspTree" ]

See ?
If You declare Your *.smls nodes like EXTERNPROTO, and put all in a file, named NODES.SMLS, or more good, using an already wrl nodes colection who include also Your specific nodes, and renamed him to 'WRL+.SMLS' (...for example), You can register this colection on VrmlPad . And You will can also use VrmlPad to edit *.smls files. :D

------
You can use Your Editor like 'Stand alone smls player' :D
------

tutancamon
= WEB ART =
tutancamon

Postby thyme » 30 May 2008, 08:54

hi tutancamon :)
Sure you can use VrmlPad to edit smls files
In fact before I got the GUI developed for Seamless II, VrmlPad was the best way to edit Seamless3d's build nodes (seamless3d would only generate the geometry then)
This was quite a practical way to go.
I took advantage of VrmlPad's feature that lets you register non VRML nodes.
Please see my tutorial:
Registering Seamless Nodes in VrmlPad

I have just updated and uploaded the seamless3d_nodes.wrl file but it will still not have all of the native nodes and fields.
If you want to update it youself feel free :) you can get all the nodes and fields from the source code for seamless3d (the modeller).
If you look through native_nodes.cpp or seamless3d.h you should be able to decode the C++ classes to VRML PROTOs pretty easily if you are familar with VRML (just look at the names of the fields and the types)

Note that you not everything Seamless3d supports can be done without causing syntax errors in VrmlPad so you will have to ignore them.
In order to make scripting friendlier in Seamless I don't have native scripts inside quotes and script functions and variables can be inserted in MFNode fields.

A text editor is essential for developing complex scripts.
Sometimes Seamless can not open a smls file it has saved (this problem happens with html editors too I notice) so a text editor has to be used to fix the file.
Some day I would like to write a SmlsPad but finding the time is the problem.
VrmlPad remains the best text editor for editing simple smls files but when writing complex SMLS Scripts it's better to use a C++ IDE.
With a C++ IDE you have the luxury of being able to single step through your scripts when debugging them.
This aids developing computer games in a big way :mrgreen:
thyme
Site Admin

Postby tutancamon » 09 Jun 2008, 18:52

Boss, I wont to put a article about Your client/server on the top page of 'V.R.M.L. Server'. That page is blank from the begining.
I wont to declare Your seamless3d like 'The dynamite of the Year'.
May I say about Your application that is still in beta stage (is a prototype ) ?.
Can I rename Your package ?
After I'll put Your package on first page on my forum, I'll present also on a few romanian forums, where I am a member.
I wont to make a masive promotion of Your client/server on romanian forums, but 'seamless3d' is not a best name. Please think to another name more simple and cool.
My proposal is 'Trance3d'. Do You accept this name ?
= WEB ART =
tutancamon

Postby thyme » 10 Jun 2008, 11:56

hi tutancamon :)
I think Seamless3d is too early in it's development to be described as the dynamite of the year to most people.
I appreciate anyone wanting to promote seamless3d but I would not want Seamless3d to get a reputation for being more hype than substance.
Seamless3d has been in rapid development for many years, has undergone a lot of experimentation and is still evolving but I like to think it's design is now stabilising.
If seamless3d is used as a multi-user browser by people who are accustomed to VRML, they are likely to miss a number of features it does not currently have.
What's important to point out is, Seamless3d lets anyone create high quality animated models with full artistic freedom and that it lets the artist use their models to chat with other artists in a shared environment without being dependent on an expensive server and all this using open source software.
I have focused mostly on creating tools for creating animated organic models because I believe this should be a top priority for creating 3d vector art.
Some may say I am wasting my time because there are tools in second life that let the user make high quality models for a faction of the effort but I doubt such tools are going to offer the amount of freedom that would satisfy artists who want to create original characters.

Trance3d.com is already taken but I have no desire to change the name Seamless3d anyway, it's a name that just came to me spontaneously one day as a result of developing models with no seams (seamless models). When I mentioned to my friend JOKAR I am thinking of calling my software Seamless3d, she said something like "sounds like a sure winner" and I have never looked back.
Seamless also has another meaning that fits well. Seamless3d lets the user "seamlessly" create models for different platforms or Seamless3d has a "seamless" animation/script interface.
What's seen as cool changes with the times but to my good fortune the word "seamless" is very much in fashion today. It's commonly used to promote a range of commercial products and it's a word that generally means something good. Its a big plus for supersonic jets, cars and cloths to be sexy, sleek and seamless.
Seamless3d is easy to remember and because it is unique its easy to search for on the net.

One of the best ways anyone can promote seamless3d is to learn how to use it and make content with it and put the content online.
It does not matter if the content is used for VRML, X3D, YoutTube or C++ computer games, its all good for seamless and the same content can of course be used for the Seamless3d chat.

best wishes
thyme
thyme
Site Admin

Postby tutancamon » 10 Jun 2008, 12:21

:D sound good, but only in Your language ...
Trance ==> Psyhedelic ... and is cool. Think at electronic music ...
Think at Youngs leasning electro music and in sometime making surreal graphics !!!
Any way You are right, I don't know so well Your package.
Well, may be on future's Years You will have another point of view ...
:D
= WEB ART =
tutancamon

Postby tutancamon » 10 Jun 2008, 12:56

... Yes,
I'll rename Your 'Seam less 3d' in 'Surreal3d' ...
Surreal3d, aka Seamless3d, yes !
Surreal3d
I'll put together 'Surreal3d' with 'Jescola-Buzz' ... Yesssssssssssss !
Graphics and music synth !
:D
= WEB ART =
tutancamon

Postby thyme » 10 Jun 2008, 13:36

No I don't want to change my name but I want to change your name to something more refreshing
I change your name to Sarsaparilla3d Yes ? ? ?
:wink:
thyme
Site Admin

Postby thyme » 12 Jun 2008, 22:31

Sorry tutancamon I don't really want to change your name I was only joking :P

I was thinking about your words and I just realised Seamless3d would not be over hyped if you described it as dynamite for:

VRML modelling avatar software
or:
X3D modelling avatar software
or:
Open source 3d modelling avatar software

Because I just tried Googling for these 3 terms and Seamless3d comes in at top of the list!
That makes it number one in the whole wide world! :mrgreen:
thyme
Site Admin

Next

Return to Seamless3d Forum