Launch Bug Fixed By Recompilation For 2.144

News, Discussions, Questions and Answers

Launch Bug Fixed By Recompilation For 2.144

Postby thyme » 08 Feb 2009, 22:08

Some will have got the following message when they tried to launch the previous non TTS version of 2.143:

This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Apparently this problem occurs for 2.143 when a necessary DLL file is not installed on your computer.

2.144 solves this problem by being compiled to use static link libraries so that it does not need any other files to work but there is no need to upgrade to 2.144 if 2.143 launched ok for you, both versions are exactly the same except for being compiled differently. If you reinstall windows however you may find you will need 2.144 because you may no longer have the DLL file.

2.144 can be downloaded from:

http://www.seamless3d.com/download

Many other programs experienced failing to launch too after upgrading to the new Visual C++ 2008 compiler as this blog shows:

http://typethinker.blogspot.com/2007/12 ... ation.html

The TTS version remains compiled to use dynamic link libraries because the compiler complains if I try to compile .NET (the TTS version uses .NET) with static link libraries but installing .NET 3.5 seems to install the necessary DLL file anyway so this is not a problem.

Many thanks to Miranda for bringing my attention to this important issue, she says to give her regards to all on the forum :D

PS: This missing DLL file problem is unrelated to seamless failing to run scripts on a modern computer that has DEP enabled as is the case for Peter. I will fix this problem soon too.
thyme
Site Admin

Re: Launch Bug Fixed By Recompilation For 2.144

Postby Lilly » 09 Feb 2009, 01:27

je sais que c'est du très bon travail, très soigneux et savant comme toujours, et de grand mérite en plus avec le climat très chaud de L'Australie en ce moment. Merci pour faire progresser la technique chaque jour, cher ami. Et même si moi je ne suis pas très intéressée par le chat, je le suis du moins par votre technique et je sais que ça intéressera beaucoup de monde.... merci encore cher ami thyme pour votre si merveilleux Seamless ! hugs ;o)
---------------------------------
I know that it is the very good work, very careful and learned as usual, and the big merit in more with the very warm climate of Australia at the moment. Thank you to make progress the technique every day, dear friend. And even if I I am not very interested in the chat, I like your technique and I know that that will interest a lot of people
Lilly

Postby Alain » 09 Feb 2009, 08:19

I had no probs with the 143 , but I tried that 144 and ikt works perfectly too , with voices too .

congrats :)
Alain

Postby thyme » 09 Feb 2009, 08:49

Thanks very much my dear friends Lilly & Alain :D

This is not the most exciting version but it had to happen lol :P

Most of my work so far this year has focused on seamless3d chat but I must stress that Seamless3d is a general purpose modeller designed for all 3d platforms (if the platform allows it)
I would like to make seamless3d support more formats in the future.
When Googling I found seamless3d was being used to create content for the Panda3D platform which was very interesting to see because seamless3d does not yet directly support panda 3d's format:

http://blog.funtrench.com/?p=13

It is not uncommon for modelling programs to have their own native stand alone viewer and/or chat system, I noticed trueSpace has its own 3d chat built in to the modeller and that there are a number of stand alone viewers made for displaying 3d studio max formatted files.

I think it's important that there be a chat system for Seamless3d format because it will always be there as a free open source platform for artists even if they prefer to use a different platform for displaying their content.

In 2002 Seamless3d chat came into existence because Blaxxun went bankrupt and the future of Blaxxun was in doubt.

Because seamless3d is non proprietary open source software it is immune from going bankrupt and because it is under the MIT license it should offer insurance to artists and businesses who don't want to be at the mercy of others.

Although Seamless3d will continue to support VRML/X3D, I think it is important that Seamless3d remains independent of other organizations such as the Web3d which is not controlled by those who make the content that counts.

Yes it's very hot here Lilly, we are lucky here in northern NSW where we have had a lot of rain this year but Australia is in the midst of suffering the worst bush fires in its history. Over a 100 people's lives have been lost in the last few days. Most of the fires are down south in Victoria. It seems every year now the green house effect is asserting itself in one form or another around the world. It's sad that so many people still drive to work every day in a car just to work on a computer. Think of how much energy could be saved if they stayed at home.
thyme
Site Admin

Postby Lilly » 09 Feb 2009, 09:11

good morning thyme, thank you ;o)
have great day
hugs
Lilly
Lilly

Return to Seamless3d Forum