Clickable World List & Check Out Times for 2.146

News, Discussions, Questions and Answers

Clickable World List & Check Out Times for 2.146

Postby thyme » 20 Mar 2009, 20:27

It is important to download this latest version (2.146) to log into the seamless server because the protocol has been updated.

You can download 2.146 from:

http://www.seamless3d.com/download

To chat you open the OpenNetFile window same way as before (click on the tool bar's open web button) but there is now the option of clicking a worldList check box to open the worlds open page in seamless (it is the same page as the html worlds open page except no thumbnails are shown).

To open a world you just click on any of the links in the list:

To refresh the page just re-click the OpenNetFile button from the toolbar.

The server now displays the worlds open page with how long ago someone last checked out of a world when there is no one in it.
The server now reorders the list of worlds so that the last world someone logged in goes to the first in the list.

A serverUrl field has been added to the OpenNetFile control panel. This url is used for logging into the seamless server to display the worldList and is also used for logging into a world if the worldUrl has no server component.

With the changes made to the protocol I am hopeful I have fixed the mass exodus bug but have not yet had a chance to put it to the test.

You can now invert the window color by opening the F10 menu (move the mouse to the top left corner of the screen) select Settings and tick the invertWindowColor check box.

I have improved the visual clues for links pasted into the chat window by making any link that begins with http:// or www. have the same color as a html link and programming the mouse icon to change to a hand when mouse is over a link. The same features have been applied to the world list links.

3 seamless specific fields have been added to the WorldInfo node.
netSave
author
website

When the netSave check box is NOT ticked, the world (or avatar) is prevented from being saved when seamless is in browsing mode.
The netSave field can NOT be altered when browsing.
The netSave field is NOT ticked by default.

None of the seamless specific fields are exported to vrml/x3d.

The server and source code for both server and modeller for 2.146 are also available at the download site.
thyme
Site Admin

Re: Clickable World List & Check Out Times for 2.146

Postby thyme » 20 Mar 2009, 21:37

Party Saturday 20:00 GMT
thyme
Site Admin

Postby Peter » 20 Mar 2009, 22:32

:D Whoaw Thyme ...

Thank's for the "InvertWindowColor" ... you can't imagine what a big help it is for me.

The clickable worlds list will boost seamless chat's "playability".

The new save-restrictions against "piracy" put seamless chat one(more?) step ahead of "good old vrml".

[EDIT] ...here I had written a large bug-report about an "unexisting" input-field for nickname in the "open netfile" window ... but it has turned out to be my own mistake : the cursor does not invert color so you don't notice that the input-field has got focus.

Cheers, Thyme !

Peter
Peter

Postby thyme » 21 Mar 2009, 06:11

Thanks Peter :) the inverted idea came late to me, it has a few problems like the RGB buttons no longer being red green and blue but it was such a wonderfully simple feature to implement, bypasses ugly white border pixels around icons (a problem for icons designed for a white background) and it has a cool look 8)
I was sidetracked by how cool the cursor (caret) looked as just 2 red flashing pixels lol but I agree it is not the most practical and so I will invert the cursor for the next version.

I uploaded all the files and posted the announcement in a mad rush to get the job done before our planned power-cut (no electricity for computers) took affect (from 8:30 AM to 4:00 PM).
I felt pleased nothing major went wrong in the operation but realized just after it was too late I left only 1 world in the list ! lol
This no doubt left a number who logged in wondering what all the fuss was about lol
It was good to see florenze logged in but she did not see anyone and others too i see missed each other still.
The added messages to show people have visited not so long ago helps keep some faith to come back but many still miss names they never get a chance to see so I am thinking what can be done to further improve things in this area.
This server stuff does seem to have a lot of potential :)
thyme
Site Admin

Return to Seamless3d Forum