H-Anim Import & Browser Test Updated for 2.151

News, Discussions, Questions and Answers

H-Anim Import & Browser Test Updated for 2.151

Postby thyme » 16 May 2009, 20:00

Open Source Seamless3d 2.151 can be downloaded from:

http://www.seamless3d.com/download

Seamless3d could import hanim a good many months ago but for lack of time in testing, this is the first formal announcement. Also improvements have been made over time including this last week.

To show how to import hanim I have written a tutorial that has evolved from Nontiti's tutorial he wrote in Japanese.

I have updated the browser test page, it now uses Lucy as the example and it better demonstrates the advantages and disadvantages of using different options for different browsers.
All except one of the sub examples are exported without any hand editing to the source file to make them work for the various VRML/X3D browsers.
I would have liked to have tested Instant Player but it crashed for me after I installed it even when I do not try to open anything with it. Anyone used it for hanim?

Seamless3d is the only modeller I am aware of that can use hanim as an interchange format for both exporting and importing avatars. Thanks to the way Seamless3d natively indexes vertices for part ownership, there is no need to re-rig the model for further modelling. With Seamless3d, animated HAnim avatars can be imported and exported repeatedly without accumulating file bloat.

Single meshed h-anim models that use either an IndexedFaceSet or an IndexedTriangleSet node can be imported.

Nontiti has tested this feature on an avatar he made using Vivaty Studio and was able to use this avatar in Seamless chat and be able to export to use the setByVertexTransform so that it can play efficiently in Cortona. I have tested the import feature on Lucy exported a number of different ways and even got Seamless to import Joe D William's avatar he made using only a text editor. Being able to import this range of avatars without needing to hand edit the file suggests some robustness has been attained.

For 2.151 I have added a new export option outScriptAsRoutes.

This feature causes simple lines of script that have a ROUTE equivalent to be exported as ROUTEs instead of script.

ROUTEs allow for animations to be played by a greater range of VRML/X3D browsers, however this export setting will prevent more advanced scripting features such as "if statements" and math functions from being used for animation so don't use it for any scripts more complex than nodeB.field = nodeA.field

On a different note I have made it so that the chat log can easily be opened by right clicking on the chat window and selecting "open chat log"

Many thanks to nontiti for his help getting Vivaty Studio to export hanim models for Seamless3d and his Seamless3d & Vivaty Studio tutorials which have greatly helped me.
thyme
Site Admin

Re: H-Anim Import & Browser Test Updated for 2.151

Postby vnomad » 16 May 2009, 20:39

WOW.
This is great news indeed :D
I have used Flux Studio along with a perl script to import bvh files making them work in h-anim.
This allows direct use of any bvh file using the naming conventions assumed by the script, and these conventions are not that difficult to edit. For instance, the large free Blender bvh animation library plays directly.
But it has been a while now.
The "balloon" skinning method in Flux is quick and dirty, but works OK for simple stuff. Very quick once one gets the hang of it. Is there any way that this skin weighting may be imported to Seamless from Flux-written X3D/VRML?

In any case,
CONGRATULATIONS!
Seamless truly has an amazing set of features now.
Wish I had more time to learn to master them all... :mrgreen:
creativity is great but plagiarism is faster
vnomad

Postby Alain » 17 May 2009, 12:06

I was playing with our dear Lucy , that morning ,

I wondered if she could be more sexy dressed ,
I must admit that the result is a bit crappy LOL

http://dumenieu.free.fr/louizeforum/sea ... pants4.wrl

but my way to still learn seamless :)
Alain

Postby thyme » 18 May 2009, 06:41

Thanks vnomad :mrgreen:

vnomad wrote:The "balloon" skinning method in Flux is quick and dirty, but works OK for simple stuff. Very quick once one gets the hang of it. Is there any way that this skin weighting may be imported to Seamless from Flux-written X3D/VRML?

When importing H-Anim models made by Flux/Vivaty studio's "balloon" skinning method, the vertices are sorted into Seamless parts so that each vertex is owned by a part.
Vertices of different weights within a part are also grouped accordingly so that the model will animate the same in seamless.
The actual balloons don't get imported as these are not part of the H-Anim standard and so are not specified anywhere in the file but they should no longer be needed once in seamless.
If for example you split the edge of a triangle in the imported model, the new vertex will be owned by one of the parts that owns one of the vertex edges.
Using seamless's color ownership Image mode, you can quickly verify vertex ownership. To change the ownership of a single vertex is very simple and fast for blue parts. You just copy a part in the scene tree and then paste the part's ownership into the vertex.

Ordering vertices into different weighted groups takes a bit more effort but should be no more challenging than adding up how much money you need to buy a few items in a shop.

Its just a matter of understanding each vertex is indexed and groups of weighted vertices are grouped by their index order.

The different weighted groups within a part also have their own color when in color ownership Imagemode.

I started work on a new poly modeling robot demo towards the end of last year . This demo utilizes a new feature I was working on that lets you select multiple vertices (or multiple triangles) at a time. I think this approach should make applying ownership feel less geeky and more like painting colors onto vertices when specifying ownership and/or weighted groups :D
thyme
Site Admin

Postby thyme » 18 May 2009, 07:35

Very alluring Alain :wink:
Its an interesting concept this, adding cloths to make a sexy look.
I remember the words you said in blaxxun once, words only a French man would dare to say, must have been back in about 2002:

"Putting on cloths good, taking off cloths good too"

Knowing how wise you are, I have been pondering the meaning of these words ever since, wondering what can they mean :roll:

Now they all make perfect sense :lol:
thyme
Site Admin

Postby Lilly » 18 May 2009, 16:37

lol Alain Lucy have a good sexy pant now ! CONGRATS ! :lol: bisousss
Lilly

Return to Seamless3d Forum