Interface for Demo Robot for 2.112

News, Discussions, Questions and Answers

Interface for Demo Robot for 2.112

Postby thyme » 04 Nov 2006, 16:14

2.112 is ready for download from:

http://www.seamless3d.com/download

This version has had an intensive month of refinements made and a number of new features added, aimed at making seamless more friendly to use.
To see these new features in action open the new robot demo interface.
To do this move your mouse to the top left corner and select help->build avatar demo
then press play.
The robot will count down 2 seconds before it starts moving the mouse, this leaves plenty of time to let go of the mouse.
The demos are now broken into much smaller operations and each operations can be easily selected using the increment decrement operation buttons.
The title for each operation is displayed in the title bar of the control panel.
If express is un-checked it will stop after the operation making it easy to replay again and again to see exactly what the robot is doing.
When the Control, shift, Alt and Arrow Down keys are pressed they are displayed in the status field.
This can be a little fast to see and sounds should greatly improve this but for now it should be possible to spot what keys is being pressed if the operation is played enough times.

With the new features added the build an av demo shows how it is possible to make an avatar without typing in a single value from the keyboard. Rotation buttons will now increment or decrement at right angle amounts if the control key is held down. Floating point buttons will increment or decrement in centimetres and if the control key is held down the amount will change to millimetres.

I made this version so that more than one control panel for a node can be open at one time. This seemed necessary for animation because I wanted to have both the Anim control panel open and the selected Parts control panel open at the same time when posing the avatar. However after adding the latest aid that lets you pose the avatar by dragging a control point that branches out from the 3d pivot point, I am no longer sure quite why we need more than one node window open at once.

A Known Problem
I have been working on this version right up to the last hour and have unfortunately noticed a problem too late in the day to fix for this version (no way am I going to miss the boat for the 4th week!)
The problem is when the robot runs the build an avatar demo in express mode, seamless can crash before it completes this demo. It appears that this problem is related to getting short of memory because the robot gets slow and jerky. This probably causes the robot to get out of sync. I have 256 meg of ram which by today's standards is not a lot so this problem may not be noticed by others who have more ram.
What ever the case the problem is easily remedied by closing down seamless when it gets slow and re-opening it. This frees any ram seamless has locked up and makes it fast again. The robot demo can resume where it last left off.

Apart from adding features a number of bugs and loose ends have been fixed for this version too.
Last edited by thyme on 04 Nov 2006, 20:17, edited 1 time in total.
thyme
Site Admin

Postby vnomad » 04 Nov 2006, 18:04

Yes!

This robot sure makes things easy to understand.

Works really well, thanks a lot!

. . . and happy gardening :D

Up here in arctic Norway it's coooooold now :shock:
creativity is great but plagiarism is faster
vnomad

Postby thyme » 04 Nov 2006, 23:25

Thanks for the feedback vnomad :) and welcome to the seamless3d forum :D
I think this is the first time I have heard of seamless being used in artic Norway, I am so glad it handles the coooooold well heheh ;)
thyme
Site Admin

Postby Alain » 04 Nov 2006, 23:44

wowwwwwwwww artic ???? brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !

welcome to seamless life and plz wear that to not take a cold :

http://dumenieu.free.fr/louiseforum/sea ... d_av21.wrl

thanx , Thyme , it begins to be colder too here :))

( and thanx for the zip , as you see it works :)
Alain

Postby thyme » 05 Nov 2006, 00:02

Ah this is great to see Alain! :P I am guessing this is what's in fashion in France for the winter? this outfit sure looks warm 8) :lol:

So does each "operation" appear to work when you press "play" now Alain? ( except for operation 0 )
thyme
Site Admin

Postby Alain » 05 Nov 2006, 00:15

yesssssssssssssssssssssssssss :))

( so I can go to bed now :) 1 AM here :)
Alain

Postby thyme » 05 Nov 2006, 00:41

Well I assume you are not talking about what's in fashion ;) I am very pleased to hear this news Alain :) that's one less problem to solve because it will go away when I write a seamless type window for browsing files and folders and until I do this, I can supply you with the cache file for operation 0 for each demo :)

Thanks Alain for your help and info, sleep well :)

All is well and we can all relax :)
What could possibly go wrong now? :roll:
thyme
Site Admin

Postby Lilly » 05 Nov 2006, 04:06

http://pageperso.aol.fr/SUGAR7306242888/build_avlili.wrl
the nice avatar demo animated by thyme... :wink:
with the Boo buggy © by Morning.star Cybertown.com

yes yes yes it's a very nice robot
I LOVE it !
ehehehehe

Lilly

Postby bumpy » 05 Nov 2006, 11:28

Another great version thyme :D
bumpy

Postby thyme » 05 Nov 2006, 15:28

Thanks Bumpy and Lilly :P
Great to see the robot worked fine for you Lilly with next to no help from me, I will soon be replaced by this robot! hehehe

I found a bug in 2.112 that could cause seamless to exit when opening older type smls files or vrml files.
I have fixed some code to prevent this from happening for 2.113 which is now ready for download.
I have also uploaded the source files, uploading your source files to the net is a great way to back up files :)
thyme
Site Admin

Return to Seamless3d Forum