Browser Compatibility Test

News, Discussions, Questions and Answers

Browser Compatibility Test

Postby thyme » 15 May 2007, 06:44

If you find you get different results to me as stated on this page:

http://www.seamless3d.com/browser_test

or can spot any errors in the code, please post your findings to this thread.

Thanks to a tip from Keith Victor from media machines I have added a simple work around for 2.120 that makes it possible to be able to import x3d files containing hanim nodes into Flux Studio that have been exported from seamless. This will not let you edit the hanim models I understand unless you take the static mesh out and re insert your pivot points inside Flux Studio but it will let you use it's animation interface to program in animated sequences for Seamless avs I am told.
thyme
Site Admin

Postby thyme » 07 Jun 2007, 22:48

I have updated the Browser Avatar Compatibility Test page because the latest version of Flux Player (2.1) can now play all HAnim examples!
In fact Flux Player is the first X3D player I have tested that gets excellent results for my av example output using HAnim nodes because of the fact that it can display specified normals correctly.
Many thanks to Keith Victor for testing my av examples while he worked on the update for Flux Player 2.1
thyme
Site Admin

Re: Browser Compatibility Test

Postby Peter » 26 Jul 2009, 12:50

Hi Thyme,

I have been trying out lucy_test6.wrl and lucy_test7.wrl on BS Contact 7.206 and Cortona 6.0 with following results :

lucy_test6.wrl runns smoothly on BS Contact (80 - 220 fps)
lucy_test7.wrl still runs smoothly on BS (109 to 130 fps)

I don't know where the high fps fluctuation on test6 comes from.

On Cortona, I guess both versions run a bit less smooth than on BS, but I have not been able to display a framerate :oops:. It looks pretty good anyways.

Regarding Avatar Studio avatars, I have found out an odd behaviour of Cortona :

When I inline an avt-studio avatar (with it's proto definition) using createVrmlFromURL() and then shut down the browser window, one process (eg. chrome.exe) keeps running in the background, sucking up to 54% of CPU usage. It happens the same for FF, MSIE, Opera, Safari and Chrome.

Dunno why this does happen.

TC

Peter
Peter

Re: Browser Compatibility Test

Postby thyme » 29 Jul 2009, 23:10

Wow Peter it's amazing on a modern computer you can get comparable results calculating each instruction one at a time using standard vrml javascript matrix functions ! (in comparison to using blaxxun's specialized setByVertexTranform function)
Its truly impressive considering how many vertices Lucy has in her hair.
However I would guess a greater difference would be noticed if you had 10 avatars like Lucy being rendered all at once.

Sorry I don't know how to get the frame rate displayed from Cortona either.
If Lucy's animation looks just as smooth on Cortona as on Contact that's great however one way you can see if there is a significant difference when you increase the poly count is to try adding more triangles. (just import Lucy a number of times (each with its own unique translation) into a single file)
Keep adding triangles until one of the 2 browsers is noticeably jerky. If the other browser remains smooth for the same file then you know there is a difference.

I have not noticed this behavior from Cortona however I have noticed with Vivaty player when I have tried to run scripts for animations and close the program, Vivaty player continues to run in the background and with a memory leak !

Thanks for your feedback :)
thyme
Site Admin

Return to Seamless3d Forum