Nurbs Ring Control, Obj Output & Auto Installer for 2.142

News, Discussions, Questions and Answers

Nurbs Ring Control, Obj Output & Auto Installer for 2.142

Postby thyme » 16 Nov 2008, 13:14

Open Source Seamless3d 2.142 is available for download from:

http://www.seamless3d.com/download

NurbsPatch Ring Control

Once you have a standard set of nurbs control points worked out for all the different avatar faces, making an original face involves little more than dragging control points. Apart from developing artistic skills, there is not a lot that can be done to improve how control points are dragged, however for hair I have found that I can spend a lot of my time twisting locks of hair and so I have added a new feature that lets me twist a whole ring of control points at a single time. In fact it can twist multiple control rings at a single time (which is very useful).
Because each ring twists around its own local pivot point, multiple rings can be twisted for curly locks just as easily as straight locks.
As an after thought I also made it so that rings can be simply rotated in a 2d fashion (much like a joint is rotated around its pivot point when animating in seamless) .

By having all the rings set to rotate to the end of the lock and by rotating each ring a little more than the previous ring, it is easy to make ringlets or spiral shapes.

Each ring's pivot point is automatically calculated from the average of the control points that make up the ring.

Rings can be moved (translated) if the yellow dot (that represents the ring's pivot point) is dragged.

To set ring control mode, tick the NurbsPatch's ringTug field.
Drag red dots to rotate rings
Drag yellow dot to move rings
Drag red dots while holding down the Shift key to twist rings
The NurbsPatch's numOfRings specifies how many rings are controlled, 0 specifies all rings to the end

The order of the rings affected is determined by the index order of the control points.

Please note that the ringTug functions do not work correctly when any of the NurbsPatch transform fields (scale, rotation & translation) do not contain default values. So if you need to use these fields perform a compile transform command for the nurbs patch first by right clicking on the NurbsPatch node in the scene tree and selecting "compile transform".

For 2.142 a compile transform only compiles the selected ring and the number of rings specified by the numOfRings field.

The NurbsPatche's transform fields still appears to affect the whole patch regardless of how many rings are specified until after the compile transform command has been performed because this is possibly a temporary feature and I did not want to slow down the performance or complicate the NurbsPatch's internal code.

Outputting (exporting) Files to Obj Format
Because Holodoc wanted a free VRML to obj converter and because I have had obj output on my priorities list for some time, I have added obj output as an option.
Simply tick the scene node's outputObj field.
When outputting obj, normals and texture maps are exported. I wanted to make it so that color per vertex data could also be exported to obj but there is very little documentation on this in the obj specs and I was unable to find an application that could save and import color per vertex.
Alain and Mars tested 3d studio max for color per vertex obj but if max exporting colours it could not import them back so i doubt it exports them.

Blender states that it does not support colour per vertex for obj so until an application can be found that utilises colour per vertex for obj there seems little point me guessing how this is done.
Seamless nodes that use a ColorEffect can still be exported but none of the colour per vertex data is exported same as for other applications.
One can still colour an object for obj without using a texture however if the whole object is one colour because the Effect node's diffuse, ambient and specular fields are exported.

I have opened Seamless3d's obj files with Meshlab, Daz Studio, 3DMLW browser, Vizup, Flux Studio (now changed to Vivaty Studio).

Auto Installer
This is the first official version to use an auto-installer.
The auto-installer puts the Seamless3d exe into your program files folder for you and registers smls files so that they can be opened by double clicking on them.
The auto-installer should not cause any problems for other applications on your system because it only registers smls files for seamless3d, it does not take control over other files (such as wrl or x3d files) and it does not add any dll files to your windows system folder so it wont add bit rot.

Many thanks to the Inno Setup Compiler (a free auto installer), thanks to Alain for testing it out and thanks to Mars for telling me about the Inno Setup Compiler.

Tool Tips Can be Translated
The new tool tips file has not been translated to another language yet but the code has been developed that allows the current version to display tool tips in a different language.
Unlike before, a different version of Seamless3d does not have to be compiled for a different language, only a text file has to be supplied and put in the same folder as the exe.
thyme
Site Admin

Re: Nurbs Ring Control, Obj Output & Auto Installer for 2.142

Postby Alain » 16 Nov 2008, 14:12

as I said , I like minimalist friends
(

This is the README file for Seamless3d.

)

:)

They are not like me who speaks too much :)

But the auto installer is nice , and I will look at the other tricks

Thanx Thyme
Alain

Postby Lilly » 16 Nov 2008, 16:10

Hello thyme and Alain

thanks for the new version, but your ringlet and twist file make down this New Seamless :(
but may be you fix this now ?
thanks
hugzz
Lilly
Lilly

Postby Lilly » 16 Nov 2008, 16:20

But the auto installer is nice , and I will look at the other tricks

for me too
Lilly

Postby Lilly » 16 Nov 2008, 16:32

I was able to uninstall this Seamless version without problem
Lilly

Postby Alain » 16 Nov 2008, 16:33

yes Lilly , but after my post I wanted to open seamless ,
and it still open 2.141 :(

and you ???

and ..so .. 2 files Thyme sent me crashed in 2.141 ...

have you these 2 files , Lilly ??
ringlet.smls
et
twist.smls
Alain

Postby Lilly » 16 Nov 2008, 16:40

Alain wrote:yes Lilly , but after my post I wanted to open seamless ,
and it still open 2.141 :(

and you ???

and ..so .. 2 files Thyme sent me crashed in 2.141 ...

have you these 2 files , Lilly ??
ringlet.smls
et
twist.smls

pour ta première question je ne sais pas puisque je viens de la désinstaller
donc je n'ai que le 2.141 maintenant.
En fait pour la nouvelle version en effet j'avais essayé de l'ouvrir mais je n'ai pas remarqué quelle version s'était ouverte sorry
et pour ta deuxième question oui les fichiers que thyme a envoyé ferment aussi la version 2.141
bonne soirée
bisous
Lilly
Lilly

Postby thyme » 16 Nov 2008, 19:49

Arrrrrg your right Alain, the file has an old date, this must have been the same auto installer you tested for the previous version !
I am very sorry about this Lilly, Alain and All who thought they installed the latest version :oops:
So much for making sure the new version got uploaded before the weekend was over in Europe :(
I have fired the member on the team who was responsible for this, this sort of incompetence can not be tolerated ! :evil: :twisted:
Don't worry Alain he has been reemployed to look after the possums :lol:
Ok I have uploaded 2.142 and Ep has downloaded it on to her computer but there was another problem.
Because she had just downloaded the old auto installer for 2.141 IE cached this file when we tried to download 2.142 !
So she used Firefox to bypass this problem and it downloaded 2.142 as intended :D

Thanks Lilly & Alain for letting me know, I very much appreciate this.
thyme
Site Admin

Postby Lilly » 16 Nov 2008, 19:59

thyme wrote:Arrrrrg your right Alain, the file has an old date, this must have been the same auto installer you tested for the previous version !
I am very sorry about this Lilly, Alain and All who thought they installed the latest version :oops:
So much for making sure the new version got uploaded before the weekend was over in Europe :(
I have fired the member on the team who was responsible for this, this sort of incompetence can not be tolerated ! :evil: :twisted:
Don't worry Alain he has been reemployed to look after the possums :lol:
Ok I have uploaded 2.142 and Ep has downloaded it on to her computer but there was another problem.
Because she had just downloaded the old auto installer for 2.141 IE cached this file when we tried to download 2.142 !
So she used Firefox to bypass this problem and it downloaded 2.142 as intended :D

Thanks Lilly & Alain for letting me know, I very much appreciate this.

do I do not understand what you speak? but in any event I will not test the new version this time I will wait to see this qu' Alain will say some, because really me I fear for my Windows s' there were errors!
Lilly

Postby Alain » 16 Nov 2008, 20:01

what the Hell ! ? LOL

I used Firfox , and it is OK now , 2.142 !
and so your 2 files open well ..

I tought a file was a file , not depending of the browser , LOL ,
I will never understand something in puters LOL

Ok, thanx ,

btw ,

I have fired the member on the team who was responsible for this, this sort of incompetence can not be tolerated !

it was your fisrt bad step since 6 years I know you LOOOOOL :)

reedit ,

sorry Lilly we crossed :)
Alain

Postby Lilly » 16 Nov 2008, 20:04

eheheh Alain a testé pour moi :wink: merciiiiiiiiiiiiiii Alain ;o) :mrgreen:
bisous
Lilly
Lilly

Postby Lilly » 16 Nov 2008, 20:08

NO work for me :( the seamless is dow, with the twist file :shock:
Lilly

Postby Lilly » 16 Nov 2008, 20:13

j'ai vidé mes fichiers temporaire à chaque fois mais c'est toujours la version 2.141 qui s'ouvre
alors ça ne peut marcher :twisted:
Lilly

Postby thyme » 16 Nov 2008, 20:16

Lilly, unless you have 2.142 installed you wont be able to open the example files I gave you and Alain sorry because these new files use new fields that wont exist in 2.141.

I hope to write a short tutorial today for how to use the new features.
One tip I will say now is always zoom in a lot when rotating or twisting any rings so that there is enough space between the pivot point and your control point otherwise it may seem erratic in its behaviour.

Many thanks again Lilly and Alain my dear friends :)
thyme
Site Admin

Postby Lilly » 16 Nov 2008, 20:19

I have 2.142 installed thyme but no work ! :twisted:
Alain say firfox i look for firfox now ! :roll: 8) :shock:
Lilly

Next

Return to Seamless3d Forum